ACET Ukraine carries out educational activities related to relationships and sex education for young people in order to prevent new HIV infections. Educational projects developed by the specialists of the ACET Ukraine office are based on Christian standards of conduct and approved by the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine.
Over the last 2 years due to military operations, the political and economic crisis has worsened and negatively impacted the country resulting in ACET Ukraine’s work becoming even more popular. Ukraine has one of the fastest spreading HIV epidemics in Europe. Every day 8 people die because of AIDS and 49 new people are diagnosed with HIV. There are currently estimated to be 280,297 people living with HIV in Ukraine, of whom 3,700 are teenagers.
50% of Ukrainian young people become sexually active between the ages of 12-15 and 70% of teenage pregnancies end in abortion. 76% of teenagers drink alcohol and 15% of children say they use drugs occasionally. With each passing day more and more families lose their husbands, fathers, and brothers in the war and suicide is the second leading cause of death among adolescents. 50% of marriages in Ukraine end in divorce which means that every third child is being brought up in a single parent household.
In 2015-2016, 400 ACET Ukraine volunteers in 75 cities implemented the following projects:
1. “Healthy Youth University” which consists of interactive educational training sessions for students aged 13-14 years old, their parents and teachers. In 2015-2016 they reached 11,000 pupils, 7,500 parents of students and 3,500 teachers.
2. "Know to live" which consists of 4 informative and educational video trainings. They reached 7,000 students in 110 schools in 2015-2015.
3. Youth clubs in 15 cities.
4. Information and awareness raising campaigns (e.g. World AIDS Day, International Day of the Family).
From 2003-2015 ACET Ukraine has reached approximately 2 million adolescents with the following results:
- More than 70% of young people have decided to remain abstinent until marriage and to be faithful in marriage
- 95% know the correct methods of how to protect themselves from HIV and sexually transmitted diseases
- 65% reported restored trust in their relationships with their parents
- 80% have committed to choosing a healthy lifestyle
On this basis the ACET Ukraine office established a Learning Center to expand the network of volunteers and increase their level of professionalism.
Thanks to ACET Ukraine adolescents have the opportunity to acquire Christian values and build healthy and happy futures.